Join the St. John Center team and be a part of a place where people seek help, find hope, and move home! St. John Center is seeking a part-time custodian whose duties will ensure a clean, safe, comfortable environment in the Day Shelter and Social Services Center.
The Day Shelter and Social Services Center serves people experiencing homelessness daily from 8:00 am – 4:00 pm (8:00 am – 2:00 pm Wednesdays), and is a safe, affirming space to come in from the elements and connect to needed services, including housing counseling, employment, mail service, phones, showers, and hygiene supplies.
St. John Center staff are advocates for those experiencing homelessness, and work as a team to connect them to services that lead to permanent housing.
Suitable applicants can fill out the form and submit relevant documents below the job description.
Reports to: Safety and Services Manager
Type: Part time / non-exempt
The Custodian is responsible for cleaning, basic maintenance and up-keep for the shelter building and grounds. Provide clients and staff with a physical environment that is safe, clean, pleasant, attractive, and smoothly functioning.
The custodian will:
- Perform daily cleaning duties and basic maintenance
- Fix basic plumbing
- Handle occasional small carpentry
- Clean up bio-hazardous messes as needed
- Stock and manage inventory (paper products, etc.)
- Perform preventative maintenance requirements on equipment
- Organize donations and deliveries
- Maintain outside grounds-keeping
- Work with contractors and vendors
- Attend to any maintenance issue or repair associated with the facility
- Attend staff meetings/trainings as required
- Physical ability to perform job duties which include but are not limited to standing and walking for long periods of time, bending, lifting, walking, climbing stairs
- This position requires weekend and some holiday hours
- Effective communication skills
- Must have personal automobile, valid driver’s license, liability insurance, and be willing to pick up supplies as needed
- Previous experience as custodian
- High School/GED degree
- Basic computer literacy including word processing and Google suite
- Ability and willingness to safely and effectively de-escalate situations, including conducting physical interventions when necessary to maintain safety as directed by agency